Developing a social media response to radicalization
The role of counter-narratives in prevention of radicalization and de-radicalization
- Radicalization, narritives and social media
- De-radicalization through online counter-narritives campaigns?
- What makes a counter-narritive campaign effective?
- Determining the potential effectiveness of a program
- The role of the government
- Summary, conclusions, limitations and future directions
- Eerten, J.-J. van, Doosje, B., Konijn, E., Graaf, B. de, Goede, M. de
- University of Amsterdam - Department of Psychology/Department of Political Science, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, Utrecht University, WODC
- Plaats uitgave:
- University of Amsterdam - Department of Psychology/Department of Political Science
- Jaar van uitgave:
- Type rapport:
In this report, the authors examine the extent to which counter-narrative initiatives via social media can be effective in preventing people from radicalization or can de-radicalize people.
Specifically, they formulate the following research questions:
(1) How can we conceptualize narratives and counter-narratives?
(2) How are narratives and counter-narratives used via social media?
(3) To what extent is it possible to use counter-narrative programs via social media to deradicalize individuals or prevent violent extremism?
(4) What are the pre-requisites for a counter-narrative program for it to be effective?
a. Which social media are most suitable and why?
b. What can we learn from examples of counter-narrative programs that have been operational in other democratic countries?
c. What can we learn from examples of social media campaigns in other domains, such as health care and environmental issues?
d. What are the potential risks for unwanted side effects?
(5) How can the potential effectiveness of such a counter-narrative program be determined?
(6) What can be the role of the government in such a counter-narrative program?
- UvA - Faculteit der Maatschappij- en gedragswetenschappen
- Effectiviteit van counter narratives
- Operationele status: